Practice Sheet: 1.A
01. "YOU NAME?" (You are named what?) Also see: (What is your name?)
02. "DEAF YOU?" (Are you Deaf?)
03. "STUDENT YOU?" (Are you a student?)
04. "YOUR TEACHER NAME 'HUH'?" (What is your teacher's name?)
05. "YOU UNDERSTAND HE/SHE?" (Do you understand him/her?)
Practice Sheet: 1.B
06. "WHO HE/SHE?" (Who is he/she?)
07. "AGAIN, NAME YOU?" (What is your name again?)
08. "S/HE STUDENT S/HE?" [point at teacher] (Is she or he a student?)
09. "THIS YOUR?" [point at any object] (Is this yours?)
10. "WHERE ____" [spell the name of a person in the room]
Practice Sheet: 1.C
11. "NICE MEET-you" (It is nice to meet you.)
12. "HEARING YOU?" (Are you a hearing person?)
13. "ASL TEACHER YOU?" (Are you a teacher?)
14. "YOU LEARN SIGN, WHERE?" (Where are you learning sign?)
15. "YOU LEARN SIGN, WHY ?" (Why are you learning sign?)
Practice Sheet: 1.D
16. "HOW SIGN T-H-A-N-K-S?" (How do you sign "thanks?")
17. "STUDENT, HE/SHE ?" [point at other student] (Is she or he a student?)
18. "THEY LEARN SIGN?" (Are they learning sign language?)
19. "YOUR TEACHER, WHO?" (Who is your teacher?)
20. YOU LIKE LEARN SIGN? (Do you like learning sign language?)
Practice Sheet: 2.A
01. HEY, NAME YOU? ("Hey, what's your name?")
02. YOU MARRIED? ("Are you married?")
03. CHILDREN YOU? ("Do you have children?")
04. HOW-MANY SISTER YOU? ("How-many sisters do you have?")(Also see: 2)
05. YOUR MOM NAME 'HUH'? ("What is your mom's name?")
Practice Sheet: 2.B
06. YOUR DAD DEAF? ("Is your dad deaf?")
07. YOU WORK WHERE? ("Where do you work?")
08. YOU LIVE WHERE ? ("Where do you live?")
09. THIS HIS/HERS? [point at any object] (Is this his?)
10. HOW YOU SIGN W-E? [spell "we"] ("How do you sign the word 'we'?")
Practice Sheet: 2.C
11. YOU NAME B-O-B, YOU? ("Is your name Bob?")
12. YOU DIVORCED YOU? ("Are you divorced?")
13. HOW-MANY BROTHER YOU? (How many brothers do you have?)
14. YOUR SISTER SINGLE? ("Is your sister single?")
15. YOUR DAD NAME, SPELL SLOW. ("Spell your dad's name slowly.")
Practice Sheet: 2.D
16. You-MEET MY BROTHER YOU? ("Have you met my brother? / Did you meet my brother?")
17. YOU LIVE WHERE YOU? ("Where do you live?")
18. YOU HAVE SISTER? ("Do you have a sister?")
19. THIS YOUR? [Point at any object.] ("Is this yours?")
20. HOW YOU SIGN T-H-E-Y? ("How do you sign 'they'?")
Practice sheet 3.A
01. "NAME YOU?" (
Practice Sheet 3.D
Practice Sheet: 4.A
01. YOU FEEL ANGRY YOU?
02. UNCLE, HOW-MANY YOU?
03. YOUR FATHER, HOW-MANY SONS?
04. YOU HAVE BABY?
05. YOUR BEDROOM BIG?
Practice Sheet: 4.B
06. I NEED BRUSH-TEETH?
07. YOU FEEL WANT CRY?
08. YOUR BOY/GIRL-FRIEND NAME?
09. YOU HAPPY?
10. LEARN SIGN, NEED HELP YOU? (Do you need help learning sign language?)
Practice Sheet: 4.C
11. WHO HURT YOUR FEEL?
12. IF-[suppose] TEACHER SPELL SLOW, YOU UNDERSTAND S/HE?
13. YOU LOVE WHO?
14. YOU SAD WHY?
15. YOU SORRY COME CLASS?
Practice Sheet: 4.D
16. YOU WANT STOP LEARN SIGN?
17. HOW YOU SIGN W-A-S-H?
18. YOU HAVE EXCUSE?
19. AUNT YOU, HOW-MANY?
20. YOU WANT BABY?
Practice sheet: 5.A
01. YOU UNDERSTAND HE?
02. YOU COME HERE HOW?
03. MOVIE, YOUR FAVORITE WHAT?
04. YOUR MOM what-DO?
05. WRISTWATCH, WHO GIVE-you?
Practice Sheet 5.B
06. INTERNET S-I-T-E YOUR FAVORITE WHAT?
07. YOU WALK SCHOOL YOU?
08. _____ SIT WHERE? (Spell name of student.)
09. YOU WANT GO WHERE?
10. YOU LIKE SIGN WITH WHO?
Practice Sheet 5.C
11. CAN YOU DRIVE YOU?
12. YOU DRIVE HERE FROM HOME?
13. YOUR COMPUTER HAVE WEB-CAM?
14. YOU NEED GO DOCTOR?
15. YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, WHAT?
Practice Sheet 5.D
16. YOUR HOME, WHERE?
17. PLAY, YOU LIKE what-DO?
18. HOW YOU FEEL?
19. YOUR FAVORITE STORE, WHAT?
20. SIGN WITH FRIEND, YOU LIKE?
Practice Sheet: 6.A
01. YOUR FAVORITE COLOR, WHAT? (What is your favorite color?)
02. NAME SOMETHING ITSELF BLACK WHITE (Name something that is black and white.)
03. YOU LIKE COLOR BROWN? (Do you like the color brown?)
04. YOU DRAW GOOD? (Do you draw well?)
05. YOUR PARENTS DIVORCE? (Are your parents divorced?)
Practice sheet: 6.B
06. YOU FINISH WATCH MOVIE "__________?" (Have you seen the movie [spell a popular movie])
07. YOU THINK FUTURE YOU TEACH ASL? (Do you think that someday you will teach ASL?)
08. YOUR CHAIR GREEN? (Is your chair green?)
09. OLD YOU? (How old are you?)
10. HOW SIGN W-A-I-T? (How do you do the sign "wait?")
Practice sheet: 6.C
11. CITY YOU LIVE? (In what city do you live?)
12. HOW-LONG YOU LIVE INDEX-there (How long have you lived there?)
13. YOU WANT GO HOME NOW? (Do you want to go home now?)
14. YOUR PAPER, WHAT COLOR? (What color is your paper?)
15. YOU LIVE BIG CITY PAST YOU? (Have you ever lived in a big city?)
Practice sheet: 6.D
16. YOU LIKE RED CAR? (Do you like red cars?)
17. TOMORROW YOU GO SCHOOL? (Are you going to school tomorrow?)
18. YOU GO DOCTOR, WAIT-[long], YOU SIT-anxious YOU? (Do you get anxious when you wait a long time at the doctors office?)
19. YOU MOVE-[to-here] WHEN? (When did you move here?)
20. YOU LIVE HERE HOW-MANY YEAR? (How many years have you lived here?)
Practice Sheet: 7.A
01. APPLE, GREEN, YOU LIKE EAT? (Do you like to eat green apples?)
02. CANDY, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What type of candy do you like?)
03. CEREAL, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What type of cereal do you like?)
04. YOU LIKE COOKIES WITH MILK? (Do you like cookies and milk?)
05. WATER YOU DRINK EVERYDAY, CUP HOW-MANY YOU? (How many cups of water do you drink daily?)
Practice Sheet: 7.B
Practice Sheet 7.C
11. HUNGRY YOU? (Are you hungry?)
12. PIZZA, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What type of pizza do you like?)
13. SUPPOSE YOU GO MOVIE, YOU LIKE EAT POPCORN? (Do you like to eat popcorn at the movies?)
14. SOUP, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What kind of soup do you like?)
15. APPLE, RED, YOU LIKE EAT YOU? (Do you like to eat red apples?)
Practice Sheet 7.D
Practice Sheet 8.A
01. BACKPACK, YOU HAVE? (Do you have a backpack?) Other version: (2)
02. YOUR HOUSE, CLOTHES DIRTY, WHO PUT-(in)++, BASKET? (Who picks up dirty clothes at your house?)
03. YOUR HEARING-AID, BATTERY, WHAT-KIND? (What kind of hearing-aid battery do you use?)
04. YOUR BELT, COLOR? (What color is your belt?)
05. YOU CHANGE CLOTHES, WHEN? (When do you change clothes?)
06. DOCTOR L-A-B COAT, COLOR? (What color is a doctor’s lab coat?)
07. CLOTHES DIRTY, SHOULD PUT WHERE? (Where should we put dirty clothes?
08. WHO THIS ROOM HAVE GLASSES? (Who in this room has glasses?)
09. HEARING-AID, WHO HAVE? (Who has a hearing aid?)
10. YOU LIKE WASHING-MACHINE CLOTHES? (Do you like doing laundry?)
Practice Sheet 8.C
11. SUPPOSE YOU GO CHURCH, PANTS [bodyshift]-OR DRESS WHICH YOU? (If you go to church, do you wear pants or do you wear a dress?)
12. "PANTS", SPELL (Spell the word "pants.")
13. SCHOOL FINISH, YOUR MOM PICK-UP YOU, what-TIME? (What time does your mom pick you up after school?)
14. YOUR SHIRT, what-COLOR? (What color is your shirt?)
15. SHOES, YOU HAVE HOW-MANY ? (How many pairs of shoes do you have?)
Practice Sheet 8.D
16. YOUR SOCKS, COLOR? (What color are your socks?)
17. YOU THINK CHILDREN SHOULD CHANGE UNDERWEAR DAILY? (Do you think children should change their underwear everyday?)
18. PIZZA [bodyshift]-OR HAMBURGER YOU FAVORITE-[prefer] WHICH? (Which would you rather have, pizza or a hamburger?)
19. YOUR BACKPACK HAVE ZIP? (Does your backpack have a zipper?)
20. YOU WANT GO GALLAUDET FUTURE-[someday]? (Do you want to go to Gallaudet University someday?)
Practice Sheet 9.A
01. YOU LIVE BASEMENT APT? (Do you live in a basement apartment?)
02. BATH, SHOWER, YOU PREFER WHICH? (Which do you prefer, taking a bath or taking a shower?)
03. YOUR BATHROOM HAVE T-U-B? (Does your bathroom have a tub?)
04. YOU TOGETHER-steady SOMEONE? (Are you going steady with someone?)
05. YOUR COUCH, COLOR? (What color is your couch?)
Practice Sheet 9.B
06. GARAGE HAVE?
07. CAR HAVE? HOW-MANY DOORS? (Do you have a car?--if so--How many doors?)
08. YOUR HOUSE, GARBAGE, WHO "throw out?" [mime "throw out"] (Who takes out the garbage in your house?)
09. YOUR DRYER, G-A-S, [bodyshift] ELECTRIC WHICH? (Is your clothes dryer gas or electric?)
10. THAT TABLE, COLOR? (What color is that table?)
Practice Sheet 9.C
11. WHAT-KIND TOOTHPASTE YOU? (What kind of toothpaste do you use?)
12. YOU PREFER STOVE, MICROWAVE, WHICH? (Would you rather cook using a stove or a microwave?)
13. YOUR REFRIGERATOR, WHAT COLOR? (What color is your fridge?)
14. AMBULANCE, BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever been in an ambulance?)
15. WHY DEAF PREFER KITCHEN? (Why do deaf people tend to gather in the kitchen?) [Good light.]
Practice Sheet 9.D
16. YESTERDAY YOU SHOWER?
17. YOUR S-I-N-K, COLOR? (What color is your sink?) [Fingerspell "S-I-N-K"]
18. YOUR PANTS, YOU PUT DRESSER, "HANG-UP" WHICH? (Do you keep your pants in a dresser or do you hang them up?) [Mime "hang up" using an X-hand as the "hanger" and an index-finger as the "bar."]
19. YOUR BEDROOM HAVE WINDOW? (Is there a window in your bedroom?)
20. YOUR HOUSE, HOW-MANY BATHROOM? (How many bathrooms are there in your house?)
01. CAT LIKE EAT BIRD? (Do cats like to eat birds?)
02. BOOK YOU LIKE READ, WHAT-KIND? (What type of books do you like to read?)
03. FISH LIKE EAT BUG? (Do fish like to eat bugs?)
04. MILK, WHERE FROM, HOW GET? (How and/or where do we get milk?) [STORE / COW]
05. NAME SOMETHING DOG CHASE. (What do dogs like to chase?) [CAR / CAT / BIKE]
06. A-S-L CLASS, YOU PAST TAKE ? (Have you ever taken an ASL class?)
07. TEACHER HIS/HER WIFE/HUSBAND, YOU KNOW NAME? (Do you know the teacher's wife's/husband's name?)
08. HAVE PET YOU? [if so] NAME? (Do you have a pet? What is its name?)
09. SOME CAT LIKE WATER? (Do some cats like water?) [Note: Some like swim in it: panthers. All like to drink it.]
10. HORSE, YOU WANT? (Do you want a horse?)
11. YOU LOOK-LIKE YOUR DAD? (Do you look like your father?)
12. READ [bodyshift] WATCH-casual TV, YOU PREFER WHICH? (Which would you rather do, read or watch TV?)
13. COOK CLASS, YOU PAST TAKE? (Have you ever taken a cooking class?)
14. YOU GO ASL CLASS, what-TIME? (What time to you go to your ASL class?)
15. BIRD LIKE EAT FISH? (Do birds like to eat fish?)
Practice Sheet 10.D
16. HORSE LIKE EAT FISH? (Do horses like to eat fish?)
17. YOUR BEDROOM UPSTAIRS? (Is your bedroom upstairs?)
18. TELL-me HOW YOU FEEL. (Tell me how you feel.)
19. YOU THINK COW GOOD PET? (Do you think a cow would make a good pet?)
20. YOUR FAVORITE BOOK, NAME? (What is your favorite book?)
Practice Sheet 11.A
01. TELL-to-me ABOUT YOUR TEACHER (Tell me about your teacher.)
02. YOU GO CLASS ON TIME ALWAYS? (Do you always go to class on time?)
03. YOU HAVE DOG AND CAT YOU? (Do you have a cat and a dog?)
04. ANY YOUR FAMILY DEAF? (Is anyone in your family deaf?)
05. CLASS FINISH, #BACK HOME YOU? (Are you going back home after class?)
Practice Sheet 11.B
06. HOW YOU FEEL?
07. PHONE, CAN YOU? (Are you able to use the phone?)
08. YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND HE/SHE TEACHER, WHY? (Why can't you understand the teacher?)
09. TAKE-UP ASL FOR-FOR? (Why are you taking ASL?)
10. BOOK YOU THINK WONDERFUL, NAME? (Name a book that you think is wonderful.)
Practice sheet 11.C
11. YOUR BEDROOM DIRTY LITTLE-BIT? (Is your bedroom a little bit dirty?)
12. SOUP, YOU KNOW HOW MAKE? (Do you know how to make soup?)
13. YOU NEVER EAT CANDY YOU? (You never eat candy!?)
14. NEW CAR HAVE YOU? (Do you have a new car?)
15. YOU PREFER PIZZA OR HAMBURGER? (Would you rather have pizza or a hamburger?)
Practice sheet 11.D
16. YOU LIKE MEET NEW PEOPLE YOU? (Do you like to meet new people?)
17. YOU FEEL ANXIOUS, WHEN? (When do you feel anxious?)
18. YOU LIKE CHAT-WITH DEAF? (Do you like to chat with deaf people?)
19. WHAT-KIND PEOPLE YOU LIKE? (What type of people do you like?)
20. LEARN NEW THING YOU LIKE? (Do you like to learn new things?)
Practice Sheet 12.A
01. AFTERNOON WORK YOU? (Do you work in the afternoon?)
02. TODAY YOU FINISH BRUSH-TEETH YOU? (Did you brush your teeth today?)
03. YOU THINK LIFE FAIR ALL PEOPLE? (Do you think life is fair for all people?)
04. EVERYDAY YOU SHOWER? (Do you shower everyday?)
05. EVERY-SATURDAY WHAT-DO YOU?
Practice Sheet 12.B
06. HABIT ANY YOU? [if so] WHAT-huh?
07. HOW-MANY HOUR EQUAL ONE DAY? (How-many hours are in a day?)
08. HOW-MANY MINUTE EQUAL ONE-HOUR? (How-many minutes are in an hour?)
09. HOW-MANY DAY EQUAL ONE MONTH? (How-many days are in a month?)
10. HOW-MANY MONTH EQUAL ONE YEAR? (How-many months are in a year?)
Practice Sheet 12.C
11. YOU LIKE MONDAY? (Do you like Mondays?)
12. MOVIE, GO TUESDAY NIGHT, GOOD, WHY? (Why are Tuesday nights a good time to go to the movies?)
13. SATURDAY NIGHT, I GO PARTY, WANT ACCOMPANY-me? (I'm going to a party Saturday night. Do you want to go with me?)
14. ONE MINUTE HAVE HOW-MANY S-E-C? (How many seconds are in a minute?)
15. ONE WEEK HAVE HOW-MANY DAYS? (How many days are in a week?)
Practice Sheet 12 D.
16. YOU SCHOOL WHICH DAY? (Which days are you in school?)
17. PEOPLE GO CHURCH, WHICH DAY? ("On which day do people go to church.")
18. PAST WEEKEND WHAT-DO YOU? (What did you do last weekend?)
19. YESTERDAY, HOW-MANY TIME YOU EAT? (How-many times did you eat yesterday?)
20. NEXT-WEEK YOU COME SCHOOL? (Are you coming to school next week?)
Practice Sheet 13.A
01. RESEARCH ARTICLE, YOU LIKE READ? (Do you like to read research articles?)
02. YOUR TV CLOSE-CAPTIONED? (Is your television close-captioned?)
03. YOUR DAD COLLEGE? (Did your dad go to college?)
04. YOU GALLAUDET YOU? (Did you go to Gallaudet? / Are you attending Gallaudet?)
05. WANT BECOME INTERPRETER YOU? (Do you want to be an interpreter?)
Practice Sheet 13.B
06. DEAF [bodyshift-"or"] HEARING YOU? (Are you deaf or hearing?)
07. YOU THINK HARD-OF-HEARING SHOULD MARRY DEAF O-R HEARING? (Do you think hard-of-hearing people should marry Deaf people or hearing people?)
08. HIGH-SCHOOL, YOU GRADUATE WHEN? (When did you graduate high school?)
09. YOU THINK THIS CLASS HARD? (Do you think this class is hard?)
10. DEAF COLLEGE STUDENT SOMETIMES USE NOTE-TAKER, WHY? (Why do Deaf college students sometimes use note-takers?)
Practice Sheet 13.C
11. WATCH MOVIE, YOU LIKE CLOSE-CAPTION? (Do you like to watch close-captioned movies?)
12. TRUE FALSE TEST, YOU LIKE? (Do you like TRUE/FALSE tests?)
13. RESEARCH PAPER, YOU LIKE WRITE? (Do you like to write research papers?)
14.TEACHER LIGHTS-FLASH, WHY? (Why does the teacher flash the lights?)
15. INTERPRETER LIST, YOU HAVE? (Do you have a list of interpreters?)
Practice Sheet 13.D
16. SQUARE-[board], YOU THINK HE/SHE TEACHER SHOULD WRITE MORE? (Do you think the teacher should write on the board more often?)
17. PAST TEST THIS CLASS YOU WRONG how-MANY? (How many did you miss on the previous test you took in this class?)
18. COLLEGE, YOU GRADUATE WHEN? (When did you / or will you graduate from college?)
19. YOU THINK THIS CLASS EASY? (Do you think this class is easy?)
20. DEAF-SCHOOL YOU? (Did you attend a residential school for the Deaf?)
Practice sheet 14.A
01. SUMMER [bodyshift]-OR WINTER, YOU LIKE BETTER WHICH? (Which do you like better, summer or winter?)
02. COLD WEATHER, YOU LIKE? (Do you like cold weather?)
03. AUTUMN, WIND-[light], COOL, YOU LIKE CL:1-"go for a stroll"? (Do you like going for a stroll in a cool autumn breeze?)
04. SUMMER VACATION, YOU WAKE UP what-TIME? (What time do you wake up during summer vacation?)
05. WINTER HERE SNOW? (Does it snow here in the winter?)
Practice Sheet 14.B
06. YOU THINK TONIGHT FREEZE? (Do you think it will freeze tonight?)
07. SUPPOSE RAIN, CL:1-"GO OUT" PLAY, WILL SICK YOU? (If you play in the rain, will you get sick?)
08. MAKE SNOW+MAN, YOU LIKE? (Do you like building snowmen?)
09. WORK YOU? SICK DAY VACATION YOU CAN HOW-MANY? (If you work, how many days of sick-leave do you get?)
10. WARM COOKIE AND MILK, YOU LIKE? (Do you like warm cookies and milk?)
Practice sheet 14.C
11. SLEEP-IN, YOU LIKE? (Do you like to sleep in?)
12. YESTERDAY YOU WAKE-UP, what-TIME? (What time did you wake up yesterday?)
13. HOT WEATHER, YOU LIKE? (Do you like hot weather?)
14. SUMMER VACATION, YOU GO-TO-BED what-TIME? (What time do you go to bed during summer vacation?)
15. SUPPOSE SICK, YOU THINK GO-TO-BED HELP? (Do you think bed rest will help when you are sick?)
Practice Sheet 14.D
16. YOU USE DEODORANT YOU? [mime rubbing deodorant under your arm] (Do you use deodorant?)
17. YOUR FAVORITE TIME YEAR WHAT? (What is your favorite time of year?)
18. FEEL SICK YOU? (Do you feel sick?)
19. YOUR REFRIGERATOR FULL? (Is your refrigerator full?)
20. COLD PIZZA, YOU LIKE? (Do you like cold pizza?)
Practice sheet 15.A
01. YOUR MAJOR WHAT? (What are you majoring in?)
02. YOUR TEACHER HAVE AIDE? (Does you teacher have an aide?)
03. YOU USE BABYSITTER? (Do you use a babysitter?)
04. YOUR BOSS NAME? (What is your boss's name?)
05. YOU LIKE COOK? (Do you like to cook?)
Practice sheet 15.B
06. YOUR GRANDPA FARMER? (Is [or was] your grandpa a farmer?)
07. PAST-(long-ago) YOURSELF LITTLE-GIRL/BOY WANT GROW-UP FUTURE DO-what? (When you were a little girl/boy what did you want to be?)
08. SUPPOSE YOUR DAD DIVORCE, MARRY NEW WOMAN, SHE YOUR WHAT? (If your dad were divorced and re-married, what relationship would the new wife be to you?)
09. YOUR FAMILY ANY LIBRARY+PERSON? (Is anyone in your family a librarian?)
10. YOUR NEIGHBOR NAME, WHAT? (What is your neighbor's name?)
Practice sheet 15.C
11. PICTURE YOUR FAMILY YOU HAVE? (Do you have a picture of your family?)
12. U-S, PRESIDENT, WHO? (Who is president of the United States?)
13. STEPFATHER, MEANING? (What does the sign "stepfather" mean?)
14. BROTHER-IN-LAW YOU HAVE, HOW-MANY? (How-many brothers-in-law do you have?)
15. WAITRESS, HOW-MUCH SHOULD T-I-P? (How much should you tip a waitress?)
Practice sheet 15.D
16. NEWSPAPER, YOU LIKE READ? (Do you like to read the newspaper?)
17. WHICH COMPUTER PROGRAM YOU USE? (Which computer program or programs do you use?)
18. YOU WISH YOURSELF HAVE SECRETARY (Do you wish you had your own secretary?)
19. HOW SIGN S-C-I-E-N-T-I-S-T? (What is the sign for "scientist?")
20. POLICE he/she-HELP-you BEFORE HOW? (How have you been helped by a police officer?)
Practice sheet 16.A
01. SUPPOSE TEACHER NOT COME, WAIT 1/2-HOUR YOU? (Would you wait a half-hour if the teacher doesn't come?)
02. BEFORE-[prior-to] CLASS, WHERE YOU? (Where were you before class?)
03. YESTERDAY, SCHOOL FINISH AFTER-[FROM-THEN-ON] what-DO YOU? (What did you do after school yesterday?)
04. DOCTOR APPOINTMENT, YOU HAVE? (Do you have a doctor's appointment?)
05. WHICH YOU LIKE BEST, SPRING, SUMMER, FALL? (Which do you like best, spring, summer, or fall?)
Practice sheet 16.B
06. WHO YOU THINK BETTER DRIVER, WOMAN, bodyshift-OR MAN? (Who do you think makes a better teacher, a woman or a man?)
07. PAST WEEKEND DO-what? (What did you do last weekend?)
08. SHOES, YOU HAVE, HOW-MANY ? (How many pairs of shoes do you have?)
09. YOUR FIRST CAR, what-COLOR? (What was the color of your first car?)
10. YOUR FAMILY, LAST CHILD WHO? (Who was the last child in your family?)
Practice sheet 16.C
11. TODAY, YOUR LAST CLASS WHAT? (What is your last class today?)
12. LATE CLASS ALWAYS YOU? (Are you always late to class?)
13. YOU KNOW WHERE DEAF CENTER YOU? (Do you know where the center for the deaf is?)
14. PAST SATURDAY YOU GO-TO-BED, what-TIME? (What time did you go to bed last Saturday?)
15. YOUR FAMILY, WHO COOK MOST? (Who does most of the cooking in your family?)
Practice sheet 16.D
16. YOUR NEXT CLASS WHAT? (What class do you have next?)
17. HEARING-AID BATTERY, YOU NOT-YET CHANGE YOU? (Haven't you changed your hearing-aid battery yet?)
18. LIBRARY, HOW OFTEN YOU GO? (How often do you go to the library?)
19. YOU GRADUATE SOON YOU? (Will you be graduating soon?)
20. YOU RECENT what-DO? (What did you do recently?)
Practice Sheet 17.A
01. YOU LIKE BANANA? (Do you like bananas?)
02. WATER, MILK, POP, BEER, YOU PREFER DRINK WHICH YOU? (Which do you prefer to drink, water, milk, pop, or beer?)
03. NOW-MORNING EAT WHAT? (What did you have for breakfast?)
04. EAT FINISH, CUP, DISH, PUT S-I-N-K YOU? (When you are done eating, do you put your dishes in the sink?)
05. YESTERDAY NIGHT EAT WHAT? (What did you have for dinner yesterday?)
Practice Sheet 17.B
06. YOUR FRENCH-FRIES, YOU SALT A-LOT? (Do you like a lot of salt on your French fries?)
07. FRENCH-TOAST, HOW MAKE? (How do you make French toast?)
08. GRAPES, YOU EAT HOW OFTEN YOU? (How often do you often eat grapes?)
09. SUPPOSE EAT EGG, LIKE KETCHUP YOU? (Do you like ketchup on your eggs?)
10. YOUR HAMBURGER WANT M-A-Y-O YOU? (Do you want mayonnaise on your hamburger?)
Practice Sheet 17.C
11. YOUR HOTDOG, WANT MUSTARD YOU? (Do you want mustard on your hotdog?)
12. TOMORROW BREAKFAST YOU WANT PANCAKE AND SAUSAGE-[hotdog]? (Would you like pancakes and sausage for breakfast tomorrow?)
13. SOUP, YOU LIKE PEPPER? (Do you like pepper in your soup?)
14. YOUR HAMBURGER, YOU LIKE PICKLE? (Do you like pickles on your hamburger?)
15. TOMORROW EAT NOON, YOU WANT SOUP AND SALAD? (Would you like soup and salad for lunch tomorrow?)
Practice Sheet 17.D
16. YOU THINK SALT BAD FOR YOU? (Do you think salt is bad for you?)
17. YOUR S-I-N-K what-COLOR? (What color is your sink?)
18. SOAP YOU USE, what-NAME? (What brand of soap do you use?)
19. SOUP, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What kind of soup do you like?)
20. CEREAL, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What kind of cereal do you like?)
Practice sheet 18.A
01. BICYCLE, HAVE YOU? (Do you have a bike?)
02. BOAT, BEFORE YOU? (Have you been on a boat before?)
03. YOU WANT BUILD your-SELF HOUSE? (Do you want to build your own house?)
04. CAR CL:3/CL:3-"crash" HOW-MANY TIME YOU? (How many times have you been in a car wreck?)
05. YOUR KEYS, YOU LOSE BEFORE?
Practice sheet 18.B
06. YOU THINK FIND NEW ADDRESS EASY? (Do you think finding new addresses is easy?)
07. AIRPLANE BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever been on an airplane before?)
08. YOU ENJOY DO-what? (What do you enjoy doing?)
09. HORSE, YOU RIDE-ON BEFORE? (Have you ever ridden a horse before?)
10. WISH HAVE your-SELF HELICOPTER YOU? (Do you wish you had your own helicopter?)
Practice sheet 18.C
11. MOTORCYCLE, HAVE YOU? (Do you have a motorcycle?)
12. YOU PRACTICE SIGN, WHY? (Why do you practice signing?)
13. YOU LEAVE-[go-away] THIS CLASS, what-TIME? (What time will you leave this class?)
14. HOW YOU SIGN "R-O-C-K-E-T"? (How do you sign "rocket?")
15. YOU SEARCH WORK YOU? (Are you looking for work?)
Practice sheet 18.D
16. YOUR CITY HAVE SUBWAY? (Is there a subway in your city?)
17. last-YEAR TICKET HOW-MANY YOU? (How many tickets did you get last year?)
18. TRAIN TRAVEL, YOU LIKE? (Do you like to travel by train?)
19. YOUR ASL BOOK, YOU LOSE BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever lost your ASL book?)
20. YOU PREFER CAR [bodyshift-"or"] TRUCK? (Do you prefer cars or trucks?)
01. YOU AFRAID WHAT? (What scares you?)
02. YOU THINK SCHOOL BORING? (Do you think school is boring?)
03. YOU THINK FIREMEN BRAVE? (Do you think firemen are brave?)
04. YOU LIKE CHAT PHONE? (Do you like to chat on the phone?)
05. EMBARRASS EASY YOU? (Do you embarrass easily?)
Practice sheet 19.B
06. YOU ENJOY DO-what? (What do you enjoy doing?)
07. YOU THINK MOST DOG FRIENDLY, MEAN, WHICH? (Do you think most dogs are friendly or are they mean?)
08. YOU FEEL FRUSTRATED WHEN? (When do you feel frustrated?)
09. YOU FEEL HAPPY, WHEN? (When do you feel happy?)
10. RECENT YOU INSULT ANY-ONE? (Have you recently insulted anyone?)
11. YOU SOMETIMES FEEL LONELY YOU? (Do you sometimes feel lonely?)
12. YOU MAD, FOR-FOR? (Why are you mad?)
13. YOUR BOYFRIEND [or girlfriend] HE/SHE JEALOUS EASY? (Is your boyfriend [or girlfriend] the jealous type?)
14. BEFORE-[prior-to] TEST YOU FEEL NERVOUS YOU? (Do you get nervous before a test?)
15. YOU PROUD ABOUT WHAT? (What do you take pride in?)
Practice sheet 19.D
16. YOU THINK HE/SHE TEACHER SILLY? (Do you think the teacher is silly?)
17. YOU THINK CAT STUCK-UP? (Do you think cats are stuck up?)
18. SURPRISE TEST, YOU LIKE? (Do you like surprise tests?)
19. SUPPOSE WALK 4-HOUR, FUTURE-[will] TIRED YOU? (Suppose you walk for four hours, would you be tired?)
20. BOOK YOU THINK INTERESTING, what-NAME? (What is the name of a book that you think is interesting.)
01. BUZZ-CUT BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever had a buzz-cut hair-style?)
02. YOUR ASL BOOK CL:C-[thick]? (Is your ASL book thick?)
03. NAME SOMEONE CURLY-HAIR (Name someone who has curly hair.)
04. YOU THINK CUTE, WHO? (Who do you think is cute?)
05. YOUR MOM EYES BROWN? (Does your mom have brown eyes?)
Practice sheet 20.B
06. YOU LOOK-LIKE YOUR DAD? (Do you look like your dad?)
07. YOUR SISTER FAT? (Is your sister fat?)
08. YOU LIKE FOOL PEOPLE? (Do you like to fool people?)
09. YOUR BROTHER HAIR, COLOR? (What color is your brother's hair?)
10. HAIR, LONG-HAIR, SHORT-HAIR, WHICH YOU THINK PRETTY? (Which do you think is prettier, long hair or short hair?)
11. YOU EAT A-LOT, REGULAR, WHICH? (Do you eat a lot, or do you eat a normal amount?)
12. YOUR DAD SHORT? (Is your dad short?)
13. YOUR GRANDPA SKINNY? (Is your grandpa skinny?)
14. OLD PEOPLE WEAK? (Are old people weak?)
15. GIRL THIS CLASS STRAIGHT-HAIR, HOW MANY? (How many girls in this class have straight hair?)
Practice sheet 20.D
16. MOST FARMER STRONG? (Are most farmers strong?)
17. YOU HOW-TALL (How tall are you?)
18. YOUR DAD EYES BLUE? (Does your dad have blue eyes?)
19. PIZZA THIN-[crust], THICK-[crust], WHICH FAVORITE-[prefer] YOU? (Which do you prefer, thick or thin crust pizza?)
20. MY SHOES, YOU THINK UGLY? (Do you think my shoes are ugly?)
01. BUS, YOU RIDE-IN SCHOOL, YOU? (Do you ride the bus to school?)
02. YOU GO DENTIST HOW OFTEN? (How often do you go to the dentist?)
03. JOB YOU APPLY BEFORE, HOW MANY? (How many jobs have you applied for previously?)
04. YOU HAIRCUT, HOW OFTEN? (How often do you get your haircut?)
05. OLD BOY-FRIEND, [or girlfriend], PICTURE YOU KEEP? (Do you keep pictures of your old boyfriends? [or girlfriends])
Practice sheet 21.B
06. MOST POST-OFFICE WORKER THIN, WHY? (Why are most postal employees thin?)
07. SOMETHING BROKE, YOU PREFER HIRE MECHANIC, [bodyshift], F-I-X your-SELF, WHICH? (If something is broke, do you prefer to hire a mechanic or do you prefer to fix it yourself?)
08. YOUR HOUSE, WHO MANAGE? (Who runs your house [apartment, dorm, etc.]?)
09. YOUR SUPERVISOR, WHO? (Who is your supervisor?)
10. BOSS FIRE WORKER, WHY? (Why do bosses fire employees?)
Practice sheet 21.C
11. PILOT USE S-U-N GLASSES, WHY? (Why do pilots use sunglasses?)
12. YOU ENJOY what-DO? (What do you enjoy doing?)
13. YOU LIKE DANCE? (Do you like to dance?)
14. YOU LIKE FISHING? (Do you like to fish?)
15. YOU WISH your-SELF LAWYER? (Do you wish you were an attorney?)
16. YOUR MAJOR-[profession] WHAT? (What is your major in school or your line of work?)
17. YOUR CHURCH SEND MISSIONARY? (Does your church send out missionaries?)
18. YOUR DAD ARMY BEFORE? (Was your dad in the Army?)
19. YOUR HOUSE NEED PAINT? (Does your house need painting?)
20. YOUR RESUME, HOW-MANY PAGE? (How many pages is your resume?)
Practice sheet 22.A
01. YOUR MONEY, YOU KEEP WHERE?
02. COLLEGE STUDENT ALWAYS BROKE-[financially], WHY ?
03. CAN YOU MANAGE YOUR-SELF BUSINESS? (Can you run your own business?)
04. TOMORROW, YOU #BUSY?
05. WHAT COST CENT-25?
Practice sheet 22.B
06. YOU EARN MORE-THAN 10 DOLLAR HOUR?
07. YOU LIKE GO CLASS EARLY?
08. YOU THINK GOVERNMENT PAY GOOD?
09. CAN DEAF GO COLLEGE FREE?
10. KNOW+ SILVER DOLLAR CL:C-[index and thumb], YOU HAVE YOU? (Are you familiar with silver dollars? Do you have one?)
Practice sheet 22.C
11. EVERYDAY YOU BUY WHAT? [POP, CANDY, NOTHING, PARKING PERMIT, LUNCH, ...]
12. YOU HAVE your-SELF OFFICE? (Do you have your own office?)
13. YOU THINK PARENT SHOULD PAY CHILDREN FOR CLEAN+ BEDROOM?
14. next-YEAR SCHOOL REGISTER FINISH YOU? (Have you registered for school next year?)
15. YOU WANT RETIRE, how-OLD ?
Practice sheet 22.D
16. YOUR GRANDMA SEND-you MONEY?
17. SHOW-me YOUR FAVORITE SIGN.
18. SOME DEAF SUBSCRIBE-[SSI] WHY? (Some Deaf receive Supplemental Security Income, why?)
19. SUPPOSE YOU GO BANK, YOU PREFER COMPUTER O-R TRUE PERSON TELLER-fs
20. YOU EARN MONEY HOW?
01. TWELVE DIVIDE SIX EQUAL WHAT-[huh]?
02. ELEVEN PLUS FOURTEEN EQUAL WHAT-[huh]?
03. EIGHTEEN TAKE-AWAY FIVE EQUAL WHAT-[huh]?
04. ALGEBRA, CAN YOU EXPLAIN ME?
05. ALTOGETHER, HOW-MANY SIGN YOU KNOW?
06. BEFORE-[prior-to] TEST, YOU STUDY ALL-NIGHT?
07. ENGLISH, YOU LIKE STUDY?
08. STUDENT FAIL CLASS, WHY?
09. THIS CITY, BOOKSTORE, HOW-MANY?
10. T-R-I-G, YOU FINISH PASS?
Practice sheet 23.C
11. CAFETERIA WHERE?
12. SENIOR GIRL STUCK-UP, WHY?
13. YOU LIVE A-P-T?
14. YOU FRESHMAN, SOPHOMORE?
15. YOU LIKE MATH?
16. RESTAURANT YOU LIKE EAT, NAME?
17. FLUNK CLASS PAST-[before] YOU?
18. YOU LIVE DORM?
19. YOUR PHONE NUMBER, YOU POST BATHROOM?
20. YOUR WORST CLASS WHAT? (What is your worst class?)
Practice sheet 24.A
01. BEFORE-[prior-to] MEET NEW PERSON YOU LIKE BRUSH-TEETH?
02. BEFORE[prior-to] TEST YOU WORRY?
03. COUSIN HIMSELF STRANGE YOU HAVE?
04. FOOD ENOUGH YOU?
05. FOOD, STRANGE, NEW, YOU LIKE EAT YOU?
Practice sheet 24.B
06. YOUR SIGNing, IMPROVE HOW?
07. IF NOT GO SIGN CLASS, NOT CHAT DEAF, YOUR SIGN DECLINE?
08. YOUR CAR, GAS, LEAVE-[remaining] HOW-MUCH-[volume]?
09. YOUR REFRIGERATOR, ORANGE-"J" LEAVE-[remaining] HOW-MUCH-[volume]?
10. ROCKET ALL SUCCEED?
Practice sheet 24.C
11. TOMORROW you-HELP-me, DON'T-MIND?
12. DOCTOR EARN MORE-THAN NURSE, WHY?
13. SOME BOSS ACCEPT BAD WORK, WHY?
14. RECENTLY INCREASE YOU?
15. YOU MISCHIEVOUS SOMETIMES?
Practice sheet 24.D
16. DURING SUMMER VACATION YOU STUDY?
17. YOU THINK _______ EARN TOO-MUCH? [ASL TEACHER, DOCTOR, MECHANIC, etc.]
18. YOUR __________ COST HOW-MUCH-[cost]? [ASL BOOK, SHOES, HOUSE, COMPUTER, etc.]
19. YOUR COMPUTER, SHUT-DOWN every-NIGHT YOU?
20. YOUR FAMILY, WHO OTHER-[else] SIGN?
Practice sheet 25.A
01. 5-DOLLAR, DON'T-MIND LEND ME? (Would you mind lending me $5?)
02. C-H-E-S-S, YOU LIKE PLAY?
03. YOU LIKE GO PLAY-FIELD? (playground)
04. WANT GO MOVIE YOU?
05. Every-MORNING, YOU HURRY-[rush] SHOWER, CLOTHES, EAT, GO-[take-off] SCHOOL YOU?
Practice sheet 25.B
06. BOX BRING CAR DON'T-MIND?
07. HOW YOU SIGN L-E-F-T?
08. HOW YOU SIGN R-I-G-H-T?
09. UP-TO-NOW, YOU MOVE HOW-MANY TIME?
10. FOOD STORE, YOU LIVE THEREABOUTS?
Practice sheet 25.C
11. PARKING-LOT SUPERVISOR EARN A-LOT?
12. YOU LIVE NEAR SCHOOL?
13. YOU PREFER LIVE NORTH OR-[bodyshift] SOUTH?
14. YOU WANT ME SIGN FAST?
15. YOUR EXACT ADDRESS WHAT?
Practice sheet 25.D
16. YOUR HAIR, WOW, DO-what ?
17. YOUR HOUSE HOW FAR?
18. YOUR HOUSE, FRONT DOOR, what-COLOR?
19. YOUR LAST NAME, HOW SPELL?
20. YOUR MOM ADDRESS WHAT?
01. YOU PREFER CLOTHES BRIGHT, DARK, WHICH?
02. FOR YOU SLEEP MUST DARK? (Does it have to be dark for you to sleep?)
03. FLOWER GROW-GROW-[garden] DOG DIG, WHY?
04. TOPIC YOU INTERESTED WHAT?
05. FLOWER YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND?
06. PEOPLE NAME, FORGET EASY YOU?
07. YOU THINK SCHOOL FUN?
08. Every-SATURDAY what-DO YOU?
09. YOUR BACKPACK HEAVY?
10. YOU AFRAID HIGH-[heights]?
Practice sheet 26.C
11. YOUR HOUSE PAY LOW?
12. YOU LIKE MOUNTAIN HIKE YOU?
13. YOU LIKE STUDY OUTSIDE?
14. YOU LIKE TAKE-CARE-OF PLANT YOU? (Do you like gardening?)
15. YOUR FIRST TEACHER, YOU REMEMBER HIS/HER NAME?
16. HOW YOU UP-TO-NOW? ("How have you been doing?")
17. YOUR HOUSE, FRONT FIELD-[yard] TREE HAVE?
18. UP-TO-NOW ASL CLASS YOU TAKE-up HOW-MANY YOU?
19. HOW OFTEN YOU LAUGH?
20. TOPIC YOU DON'T-CARE WHAT? (What do you not care about?)
01. BREAD WITH BUTTER YOU LIKE?
02. MAKE SUGAR COOKIE, YOU KNOW HOW?
03. YOUR CABINET-[cupboard], what-COLOR?
04. CAKE, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND?
05. YOUR COFFEE, YOU LIKE SUGAR?
Practice sheet 27.B
06. PIE YOU THINK DELICIOUS, WHAT-KIND?
07. THREE DOZEN EQUAL HOW-MANY?
08. YOUR DOG, YOU FEED EVERY-DAY YOU?
09. YOU LIKE MEAT?
10. YOUR FAVORITE FOOD, WHAT?
Practice sheet 27.C
11. BREAD, NEW, YOU LIKE SMELL?
12. MAKE CAKE, HOW-MANY TEASPOON SALT?
13. YOU THINK COFFEE TASTE GOOD?
14. YOUR TEA, YOU WANT HOW-MANY SUGAR?
15. EGG, YOU LIKE COOK HOW?
16. YOUR FAVORITE VEGETABLE WHAT?
17. YOUR FAMILY, WHO WASH-DISHES?
18. BUY WINE, MUST how-OLD?
19. HOW-MANY O-Z EQUAL 1 LB?
20. BANANA PIE YOU LIKE?
01. YOU SLEEP BLANKET HOW-MANY ?
02. BUTTON SEW KNOW HOW YOU?
03. DRESS YOU LIKE USE-[wear] YOU? (Do you like to wear dresses?)
04. DURING TEST YOU COPY FRIEND PAPER YOU?
05. DIAPER, YOU CHANGE BEFORE?
06. SHIRT DOTS YOU HAVE?
07. HAIR-DRYER YOU USE?
08. HAT YOU HAVE? WHAT-KIND?
09. YOU PREFER LIVE SINGLE-[alone] [bodyshift]-OR ROOMMATE-[match] WHICH?
10. NECKLACE, GOLD, YOU HAVE?
Practice sheet 28.C
11. SEW, YOU KNOW HOW?
12. YOUR DAD SHAVE EVERYDAY?
13. YOUR MOM SOMETIMES SKIRT-short?
14. STRIPES-[vertical], YOU FACE-[look] GOOD YOU? (Do you look good in stripes?)
15. TIE YOU HAVE? [if so] HOW-MANY?
16. YOUR FAVORITE TOWEL, WHAT COLOR?
17. WET-WIPES YOU KEEP CAR? (Do you keep wet wipes in your car?)
18. "Scotland"-[plaid] YOU FINISH TOUCH YOU? (Have you been to Scotland?)
19. YOU HAVE SCARF?
20. SHIRT, YOU HAVE FAVORITE?
01. YOUR GRANDPA BALD?
02. YOUR DAD HAVE BEARD?
03. COUSIN, HOW-MANY YOU?
04. HIDE AND SEEK YOU LIKE PLAY?
05. YOU THINK PERSON CAN FLY WITHOUT AIRPLANE?
06. MOVIE, YOU WANT WATCH?
07. MUSTACHE, WHO HAVE?
08. SATURDAY NIGHT, YOU HAVE PLAN?
09. YOU LIKE PLAY-CARDS YOU?
10. FIVE TIMES-[worse] SIX EQUAL WHAT?
Practice sheet 29.C
11. YOUR SISTER SHY?
12. YOU LIKE SIGN MUSIC-[songs] YOU?
13. MOST SCIENTIST SMART?
14. YOU FEEL STUPID SOMETIMES?
15. CAR ACCIDENT-crash HAPPEN WHY?
16. TODAY, TEACHER SHOW-UP what-TIME?
17. YOU LIKE LOOK-at YOURSELF MIRROR?
18. HAPPEN YOU AFRAID, YOU WHITE-[faced-"pale"]?
19. CAN KEEP SECRET YOU?
20. ONE-THOUSAND DIVIDE TEN EQUAL WHAT?
01. YOUR SOCK DRAWER, what-COLOR?
02. THIS BUILDING HAVE ELEVATOR?
03. THIS BUILDING, FLOORS, HOW-MANY?
04. YOUR HOUSE, FURNITURE, what-COLOR?
05. EMAIL, YOU GIVE-UP FROM-NOW-ON FOR $200,000 YOU?
06. JANITOR THIS BUILDING, YOU KNOW HIS/HER NAME?
07. CAR MACHINE-[engine], YOU KNOW HOW F-I-X?
08. SHOE what-SIZE YOU?
09. WEEK-[every] MEETING HOW-MANY YOU? (Each week, how many meetings do you go to?)
10. HAIR, YOU PREFER what-COLOR?
Practice sheet 30.C
11. YOU THINK MOST SELL-AGENT FRIENDLY?
12. YOU START LEARN LEARN SIGN, WHEN? (When did you start learning how to sign?)
13. SUPPOSE YOUR DOG SICK, YOU CARRY VET? (If your dog gets sick do you take it to the veterinarian?)
14. IT WALL, what-COLOR?
15. YOUR _______, COST HOW-MUCH? [fill in the blank]
16. YOUR HOUSE, STREET, what-NAME?
17. YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT WHAT?
18. SUPPOSE THIS CLASS YOU FAIL, RESPONSIBLE WHO?
19. TOMORROW AFTERNOON, YOU what-DO?
20. YOUR FAMILY ANY MEASURE+AGENT-[engineer]? (Are there any engineers in your family?)
[End of sign language phrases list.]